Re: [SG7] Metaprogramming

From: Jeremy Ong <jeremycong_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 11:58:30 -0600
  Quick tangent:

> I’ve come to the conclusion that the syntax of certain metaprogramming
features should be sufficiently different from existing C++ notation,
perhaps even rising to the level of “unfamiliar”.

I'm curious if this is the position others on the committee are leaning
towards. Personally, I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment (although
many other aspects of the proposed seem like great features and additions
to the core language). In particular, we currently have at least 2
paradigms for authoring compile-time code: templates and constexpr. These
techniques are often at odds with each other and traversing the type
boundary can be somewhat awkward. Much of the advancement in C++17/20 has
served to blur the lines so that compile-time programming is accessible to
programmers without needing to resort to traditional template techniques,
many of which are decidedly cumbersome compared to their imperative
alternatives (fold expressions as an example, are a common source of
confusion, especially among beginners).

While C++ has long been known as a "federated language," where
practitioners are expected to learn 4 (?) paradigms of coding, should we
not tread carefully before creating a fifth, or potentially creating hybrid
programming models among those existing? Personally, it's hard not to find
compilers such as Zig (ref. comptime) and Circle compelling. The
programming model is uniform, and compile-time code and runtime-code are
easily shared (in the current status-quo, many algorithms are implemented
twice, once in runtime-land, once in compile-time land).

Summarizing, it's unclear to me that the benefits cited for composing an
"unfamiliar" syntax is worth it. Blurring the lines between compile time
and runtime code isn't intrinsically "bad" (in my opinion). In fact, this
is potentially a valuable feature to make code fungible in both compile and
runtime contexts.