Re: [SG7] [isocpp-ext] CWG1962+CWG2362 type of __func__ / __func__ should be constexpr

From: Herring, Davis <herring_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 21:11:06 +0000
>>> Using the details below, I'd like y'all to consider: do we want to
>>> fix this issue, or leave it as-is because better mechanisms will
>>> eventually lead us to deprecate __func__?
>>
>> Leave it alone.
>
> +1
>
> Stability/compatibility is a major feature.

I have trouble interpreting the above exchange. You're agreeing with "leave it alone", which sounds like JF's option "leave it as-is because better mechanisms will eventually lead us to deprecate __func__". That plan doesn't sound like "[s]tability/compatibility"; did you mean never to deprecate it?

Meanwhile, the whole issue here is a question of compatibility between (versions of) implementations, where there is known significant divergence; is the "major feature" compatibility between those implementations in the future, or is it bug-compatibility with their current states?

Davis