Re: [SG7] std::embed / Compile time IO

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 19:32:43 +0100
On Tue, Nov 19, 2019, 19:17 JeanHeyd Meneide <phdofthehouse_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> Even then, the compiler would have to store the entire file's content in
>> memory whereas std::embed can be designed to be backed by a memory mapped
>> file.
>>

> Having implemented this in 2 compilers, this was not my experience.
> For example, Clang already has a SourceManager and FileManager which caches
> data from files large and small, and string literals in many cases get
> folded together and interned for speed and memory savings. All the
> implementation needs to do is point to that memory, memory-mapped or not.
> This is the reason for the "as if" language in the wording, to allow
> builtins to take advantage of this or potentially other representations
> (e.g., "A dedicated AST node", as a person present in the EWG discussion of
> #embed put it).
>

>> And so a preprocessor based approach would have little value over
>> generated source files and suffer many of the same issue.
>> That it can be pushed through the committee faster should not be a reason
>> to pursue that direction.
>>

> I think you are fundamentally misinterpreting the reasons for #embed.
> The goal is to provide a before-Phase-7 (not-constexpr) way for scanners
> and dependency managers that read source code to directly resolve resources
> (typically, files) without potentially requiring full semantic analysis
> (e.g., almost every step of compilation before code generation). This
> enables current-generation distributed build systems to work. A
> preprocessor-based approach provides exactly that, and given the reception
> of P1130 (https://thephd.github.io/vendor/future_cxx/papers/d1130.html)
> by EWG, there was no appetite for a modules-specific syntax. There was also
> no appetite for a special kind of string literal for this; see P1040's
> "prior art" section (
> https://thephd.github.io/vendor/future_cxx/papers/d1040.html#design-prior
> ).
>
> "Push through the Committee" is both presumptuous and extremely
> insulting to my treatment of the Process and the guidance laid out in P0939
> (https://wg21.link/p0939) and P1000 (https://wg21.link/p1000). Expedience
> of Committee acceptance was never a goal; my work has always been thorough,
> user-focused, and pooled from listening to the vast number of users and
> their varied needs. #embed rose out of the need to support a simple +
> intuitive syntax for grabbing file contents in the simplest case ("keep
> simple things simple"), distributed build systems, and current dependency
> scanning tools: there are no other reasons. std::embed has sat in my lap
> for over a year, and despite several e-mails from hobbyist developers to
> U.S. National Lab engineers begging me to make progress, I took the time to
> understand the entirety of the constituency and propose solutions that
> solved their issues. If that is "push through the Committee", then I am not
> sure what other words you need to hear to be convinced otherwise.

I want to clarify that in no way i intend to pretend that you were not
diligent in your work and was more referring to the poll taken by sg7. I
just think that despite #embed being simpler and having less dependencies I
personally don't see that as a viable solution. Sorry if I was
misconstrued. The amount of work you did on this proposal commands respect.