Re: [SG5] Oct 20 minutes

From: Hans Boehm <boehm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 16:18:40 -0700
To be concrete, if we want single-word reads ("word" defined as anything
that can be read atomically) to be as cheap as possible in an
HTM-with-SGL-as-fallback setting, I think the following should work:

1) HTM transactions are implemented as usual, with no additional overhead.
2) Fallback SGL transactions increment a version counter at the beginning
and the end.
3) Single word reads read the version counter before and after, making sure
they're the same and even.

I think this has the following properties:
1) It doesn't work for general read-only transactions, since an HTM
transaction occurring between two reads isn't detected.
2) It's correct for single-word reads.
3) It's implementable with local information: All fallbacks to the SGL
would unconditionally increment a single global counter twice. If we detect
that a transaction consists of a single word read, we use this
implementation instead of the HTM one.
4) The only runtime costs relative to what Michael Scott had hoped for are:
 - The fallback is slightly more expensive, since we need to increment the
counter twice (while holding SGL, hence nonatomically). On non-x86
architectures, there may be fences in the fallback.
 - The single-word reads take three loads instead of one. Unless HTM fails,
two of those should pretty much always be L1 cache hits. On non-x86,
ordering constraints may be required. At least on x86, I think adjacent
single-word load transactions can be combined to share the version reading
overhead.
5) Thus in the absence of fallback, and on x86, this should only be a
little less efficient than what Michael originally wanted, with a bit more,
but still local and non-heroic, optimization effort.

I think in this single-read case, memory management is basically the
programmer's problem either way, right?

I'm still inclined to agree that we want to allow allocation in
transactions. But I think the restrictive proposal is actually not that
much less useful than we originally thought; it just requires a bit more
implementation work to make it useful in the way Michael wanted.

Hans