Re: [SG5] Oct 20 minutes

From: Michael Spear <mfs409_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:01:32 -0400
I like this idea. But note that it's going to require a lot of whole
program reasoning.

I agree that it trivially applies to HTM. But it does not apply to a
single lock fallback, unless the compiler can ensure that no transaction
performs two writes to /data/. Otherwise, the internal state of the
two-write transaction will be visible. I haven't thought about the STM
(especially redo case), but I suspect that it would break too. The use
case is when the larger transaction does
atomic do { data += 1; if (foo()) data += 1; else data += 3; }
If data is initially even, then we cannot allow the single read to see an
odd value.

Also, if a transaction wrote {data1++; data2++}, data 1 always equals data
2, and another thread performed
atomic do { r1 = data1;} atomic do {r2 = data2;}
We could also see intermediate state. It's not really a different problem
than making sure that STM writeback is atomic before privatization, but it
applies to the single lock fallback as well as STM.

- Mike