Personally, while attending school, there weren't a lot of opportunities (incentive from the professors?) to work on open source projects -- the rush to follow the syllabus kinda always gets in the way.
But I think students would gain a lot from the experience.

 -Marcos

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 8:04 PM Patrice Roy via SG20 <sg20@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
The big problem in schools is that (in my experience, at least) we don't actually have a body of legacy code to provide, and making students use colleagues' sources (something I tried) tends not to give desired results due to... let's call it "emergent quality of implementation" (it's far from professional code that's evolved over time).

I guess we could make a list of relevant open source projects (with reasons why we think they are relevant) or ask partners from the industry to provide some interesting sources for students to play with... We'd need something stable, however, to avoid students accessing the work of previous years' students.

De : SG20 <sg20-bounces@lists.isocpp.org> de la part de JC van Winkel via SG20 <sg20@lists.isocpp.org>
Envoyé : mardi 9 juin 2020 11:47
À : SG20 <sg20@lists.isocpp.org>
Cc : JC van Winkel <jcvw@google.com>
Objet : Re: [SG20] Wonderful story from Brian Kernighan about an assignment he gave to students.

Glad you liked it.

In general, I like the idea of giving assignments where students need to change software.  That is what happens the most in industry.

JC

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 3:06 PM Yongwei Wu via SG20 <sg20@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
It is totally fantastic. I watched the ending twice, and then the video in whole. Both Brian and Ken are brilliant!

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 15:58, JC van Winkel via SG20 <sg20@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTfOnGZUZDk&feature=youtu.be&t=533

(it is the last 30 seconds of a video of the origins of the grep command in UNIX)

JC

Yongwei Wu