There has been very little interest in char*_t overloads though.

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit over the weekend (esp. during our impromptu Twitter-based SG16 meeting).

I’ve come to the conclusion that char8_t is actually a solution in search of a problem. All you know when you see a u8string is that its associated encoding is UTF-8, but this isn’t actually very useful for anyone; you still have to treat it as a bag of bytes of indeterminate encoding because, by (lack of) contract, a u8string can contain any old nonsense.

Therefore, if I have the option to build my code with UTF-8 as the literal encoding (and nearly everyone has that option), all char8_t does is to provide me with two mutually-incompatible ways to express “some unknown bytes that might be text.”

I’ve therefore decided not to spend any more of my limited available committee time on any language or library changes related to charN_t.  Instead I think it would be more productive for me to focus on adding features that provide text codecs and validation (thanks, JeanHeyd!)

Thanks again for all your valuable contributions to this discussion, Victor!

               Peter