Hi Peter,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m looking forward to your counter-proposal that makes the Windows situation well-formed.

Best regards,

                        Peter

From: SG16 <sg16-bounces@lists.isocpp.org> On Behalf Of Peter Bindels via SG16
Sent: 14 April 2021 15:24
To: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot@gmail.com>
Cc: Peter Bindels <peterbindels@gmail.com>; SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org>
Subject: Re: [SG16] P2362R0 Make obfuscating wide character literals ill-formed

EXTERNAL MAIL

I value portable code highly. If we have known platforms, and a competing proposal that makes the Windows situation well-formed, it makes this an odd sell to me. I do not want a specification that requires code to compile on Unix and fail on Windows, even if it is not currently according to spec and somehow unportable code.

Blocking multi-character literals, sure. Blocking some single-character literals as IFDR when they work fine on other platforms, that's just not right. I don't think I like either variant - making it ill-formed on Unix, or to allow it on Unix while making it ill-formed on Windows.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 16:16, Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 4:07 PM Peter Bindels <peterbindels@gmail.com> wrote:

Then I have the inverse problem, now we create code that is conditionally portable, and only ill-formed on Windows. That's horrible.

How is that worse that code that is well-formed everywhere but does the wrong thing on windows?

wchar_t was never portable

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 15:55, Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 3:49 PM Peter Bindels via SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

Please explain how that facepalm is now illegal on Unix, where wchar_t is 32 bit and it clearly fits.

It's only ill-formed if it doesn't fit!

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 15:27, Peter Brett via SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

Hi all,

Corentin and I have authored https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P2362R0.pdf, which will be in the April mailing.  This addresses https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/65.