On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:41 PM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer@gmx.net> wrote:
On 03/02/2021 00.09, Corentin wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 11:57 PM Victor Zverovich <victor.zverovich@gmail.com <mailto:victor.zverovich@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > For the core language, I think we should
>     > simply replace "execution character set" with "literal encoding" (narrow and wide),
>     > because we never actually care about character sets, just about encoding
>
>     I would be very much in favor of this change. "Literal encoding" is exactly what this is and "execution character set" is just confusing. I also agree that it shouldn't be tied to locales in any way.
>

> I'd love feedback on the draft I posted earlier in this thread which does that, whenever you have time before the next deadline :)
> A slightly more recent draft is here https://isocpp.org/files/papers/D2297R0.pdf <https://isocpp.org/files/papers/D2297R0.pdf>

My paper is doing the same updates:

https://wiki.edg.com/pub/Wg21telecons2021/SG16/charset.html

I'd suggest to use the terms "ordinary literal encoding" (for char) and
"wide literal encoding" (for wchar_t)
so that "literal encoding" remains available to refer to both, or to
the general concept.

The paper has funny italics (only italicize when defining a term, not when just mentioning it).
It seems to lose the definition of "execution (wide) character set".

I thought we had discussed that the standard library has certain
facilities with locale-dependent character set.
I haven't found a mention of "execution character set" in the library
wording, so I'm interested in learning how these locale-dependent
character sets are described / referenced.

There is a whole new paragraph in the library introduction (page 10).

Jens