Damn, I finally see the issue.
Terribly sorry it took this long
Which leads me to think that the current order of operation is a better place to be in, unless we find a better mechanism

I think that the status quo in terms of observable behavior pertaining to escape sequences is correct
I don't feel so good about the idea of introducing weird wording hacks such as more abstract characters to achieve that behavior while swapping operations.

I think we already decided that in phase 5, each character is encoded individually, and in any case there cannot be partial code unit sequences anywhere in each string.
Therefore, maybe the current order of operation makes sense as it cannot be observed.

One of the issues we had was stateful encodings;  I am of the mind that this can be left in the realm of implementation discretion and that there seems to be limited value in the standard specifying a behavior there. Seems to be working fine currently.

TL;DR: I feel like I have been wrong

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:42 PM Steve Downey via SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
Also, if the change in behavior happens anywhere, it's likely to be in code that is nearly impossible to fix, because someone is doing something legal but terrible with the preprocessor.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 5:28 PM Tom Honermann via SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On 1/4/21 9:54 AM, Peter Brett via SG16 wrote:
> Please could someone remind me of the *downsides* of allowing escape sequences to be synthesized into string literals through pre-processor concatenation?

The only way to end a hexadecimal escape sequence is with the end of the
string literal, or a character other than a hex digit (a-f, A-F, or
0-9).  If concatentation was performed before recognition of escape
sequences, then encoding any of the hex digits following a hexadecimal
escape sequence would require specifying them using an escape sequence.
Similar concerns exist for octal escape sequences, but could be avoided
by always using a maximal length octal escape sequence.

Tom.