This is your friendly reminder that an SG16 telecon will be held tomorrow, Wednesday December 9th, at 19:30 UTC (timezone conversion).
The original calendar invite for this meeting had a duration of 2 1/2 hours. That was my mistake; the duration is our typical 90 minutes. Thanks to Hubert for alerting me.
This meeting will be conducted via Zoom. To attend, visit https://iso.zoom.us/j/8414530059 at the start of the meeting. Please contact me privately if necessary for the meeting password.
The agenda is:
- P2093R2: Formatted output
- Continue discussion.
Please review the summary of discussion for P2093R2 at our last telecon and further discussion on the SG16 mailing list starting at https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2020/11/1941.php and continued at https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2020/12/1950.php. Please enjoy a good belly laugh at the mojibake exhibited there. Prompted by those discussions, please be prepared to discuss:
- The association between the (compile-time) execution encoding and the (run-time) locale sensitive system encoding and the proposed use of the (compile-time) execution encoding to affect choice of (run-time) system encoding.
- Differing output behavior for various languages; bytes for C, Fortran, Go, Rust and encoded text for Java, C#, Perl, Python. Is this a bytes or text facility?
- How transcoding failures should be handled (due to both ill-formed input and (if relevant) non-convertable characters).
- How programmers can bypass implicit transcoding in order to format raw bytes; or whether they should be able to.
- How transcoding can be separated from the formatting facility; or if it should be.
No decisions are anticipated at this meeting, but direction polls may be taken.