From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast@gmail.com>
Sent: 01 June 2020 15:05
To: SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org>
Cc: Peter Brett <pbrett@cadence.com>; Corentin <corentin.jabot@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SG16] Conversion of grapheme clusters to (wide) execution encoding

EXTERNAL MAIL

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 5:22 AM Corentin via SG16 <sg16@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 09:48, Peter Brett <pbrett@cadence.com> wrote:

Out of the 5 options laid out, I feel it would be best to make it ill-formed.  The source code author's intent is (at best) ambiguous, and the onus should not be placed on the compiler to try to make it work.  The status quo allows for programs to be broken in surprising ways.

I think you might be right.

Especially given making it work add implementation burden for the sake of legacy encodings and there is a somewhat easy fix: nfc normalize your sources.

Wait, does this apply to u, U, and u8 strings? Users can't have non-NFC-normalized strings?

Best regards,

                     Peter