Ok, so just make it completely implementation defined.  That works and effectively matches what I had intended (since execution character set is implementation defined anyway).  How about this?

    template<class charT, class traits, class Rep, class Period>
      basic_ostream<charT, traits>&
        operator<<(basic_ostream<charT, traits>& os, const duration<Rep, Period>& d);

        […]

        -3- The units suffix depends on the type Period::type as follows:

            […]

            (3.5) — Otherwise, if Period::type is micro, it is implementation defined whether the suffix is "µs" ("\u00b5\u0073") or "us".

            […]

        […]

        -4- If Period::type is micro, but the character U+00B5 cannot be represented in the encoding used for charT, the unit suffix "us" is used instead of "µs".

        […]

Tom.

On 11/6/19 5:21 PM, Howard Hinnant wrote:
My opinion is that we should say we prefer “μs” but allow “us” as well, in as few syllables as possible, with a large surcharge on each syllable above the theoretical minimum.  I would prefer not to give rationale nor examples for when a vendor might output “us” instead of “μs”.  Just let the vendors decide.

Howard

On Nov 6, 2019, at 5:14 PM, Tom Honermann via Lib-Ext <lib-ext@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On 11/6/19 4:30 PM, Billy O'Neal (VC LIBS) wrote:
Please read the wording again. Note that it says that, if those conditions are true, then the result is unspecified.
If “the wording” means the P/R of https://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/issue3314, the wording there implies that we must make some effort to determine that the condition is true, which in practice we cannot do because the interface between streams and streambufs is public.
Yes, that is the wording I meant.  The intent is to ensure the implementation does *not* have to put forth such effort.  I don't understand where such an implication is coming from, but that wording has confused at least three experienced wordsmiths, so I acknowledge there is an issue, but I don't understand what it is.

I think it is important to say something here.  Otherwise, one could claim that the terminal failing to display "μs" because it is configured for an incompatible encoding is non-conforming.  Well, to the extent that the standard addresses such devices.

Tom.

Corentin’s P/R below seems to not have this concern.

Billy3