Possibly worth bringing to Sg15, but for the Sg16 part, I think sticking with paths aren't text, and you can't treat them as such should be sufficient.

I say this as someone who participates in SG15.

Distributed builds are important, but it might be just a constraint on the shared infrastructure.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 19:41 Lyberta <lyberta@lyberta.net> wrote:
I want to rewind discussion a little bit and talk about one of original
assumptions:

> 2) networking is not in scope. Distributed builds are considered an
extension
> of the local system, so they don't count as networking. Distributed build
> tools need to emulate the file system of the originator.

I don't think this is correct. Distributed builds do exist so there may
be file system change between systems. I think we need to clarify the
use case.