On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 12:07, Lyberta <lyberta@lyberta.net> wrote:
Corentin Jabot:
> The real problem is system apis (both posix and win32 and all existing C
> code) - null termination in C++ exist for compatibility with that and it
> seems unlikely that we would manage to convince win32 or posix people
> to add (pointer size) functions everywhere - it's a lot of functions

I think this is the only way forward.

Take char8_t* + size_t or make a struct with those fields, that's the
only sane way for C.

While I agree, it's an awful lot of people to convince. null termination was never a good idea.
The best time to fix that was in the 80s - arguably the second best time if now, but we wouldn't be able not to have null terminated strings for a few more decades in c++.
Which means we probably wouldn't find any one willing to fix it...