On Sun, Aug 18, 2019, 19:07 Thiago Macieira <thiago@macieira.org> wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 12:25:57 PDT Henri Sivonen wrote:
> To the extent other programming languages that have encoding
> conversion in their standard library, such as Java, focus on
> contiguous buffers rather than iteration, it's worthwhile to study if
> application developers really feel that something important is
> missing.

We were just discussing URLs in the cpplang Slack and that reminded me:
there's exactly one in 10 years case that I've needed to decode a non-
contiguous byte range and that's when parsing a URL.

Can you elaborate on this? Per spec, URL parsing doesn't invoke a decoder but an encoder:
https://url.spec.whatwg.org/#query-state

Here's the corresponding code in Firefox using the span-oriented API that I linked to in my previous email:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/netwerk/base/nsStandardURL.cpp#138
The span-oriented API works well here in my opinion, even though this case is a more advanced used of the API that implement a custom replacement behavior.