Can the optimizations be done based on contiguous_range and _iterator?

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019, 12:07 Thiago Macieira <thiago@macieira.org> wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 12:25:57 PDT Henri Sivonen wrote:
> To the extent other programming languages that have encoding
> conversion in their standard library, such as Java, focus on
> contiguous buffers rather than iteration, it's worthwhile to study if
> application developers really feel that something important is
> missing.

We were just discussing URLs in the cpplang Slack and that reminded me:
there's exactly one in 10 years case that I've needed to decode a non-
contiguous byte range and that's when parsing a URL.

So yes, these cases exist. On the other hand, they are rare enough that you
don't need the the regular API to support them. The URL parser has other needs
too and would be quite satisified to use a very flexible, stateful decoder
API.

Moreover, decoding contiguous byte ranges have very interesting properties
since they can be parsed by SIMD.