On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 10:34 PM <keld@keldix.com> wrote:
For most programs there is no default execution character set nor default
execution encoding. A binary program is designed to run with the run time
execution character set of the locale it runs with. So the same binary
řogram can run with a Japanese encoding or a Danish enoding or arabic encoding.
There is no knowledge at compilation time what encoding will be used at run time

The standard assumes there is one. It has to. You cannot not have an encoding.
(Of  course it is broken but it's a very old assumption).

Also there is no such thing as a Danish encoding or a Japanese encoding. There is a Danish locale and an encoding attached to that locale (utf8, iso 8859). The standard doesn't always makes the distinction - it should)

But yeah, all of that precludes people to have non ASCII in there source as this is currently the only thing that will work portably.

This is not inherent to C++ which is one reason other languages converged to utf8 as the default/only encoding.
(The primary reason being the Unicode character set is actually useful to store text)

keld