Getting back to the original question. I think execution character set and execution encoding would refer to the encoding specified by the default locale, the "C" locale. We do not change the execution encoding via calls to setlocale(), we change the global default locale to a new locale.

Any name is going to be confusing. I think it's better to just get an explicit definition to go together with the term. Something like that the execution encoding is the same as the default character set associated with the default "C" locale, and that it is IF NDR if the actual default character set is different than the presumed translation from source encoding to execution encoding, or if translation units with different execution encodings are linked together.  IF NDR because I don't see how it could always be detected but it can quickly turn into ODR violations where the same named object has different definitions.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:22 PM Corentin <corentin.jabot@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 7:08 PM Thiago Macieira <thiago@macieira.org> wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 09:55:07 PDT Corentin wrote:
> (if anyone is thinking about that, I don't recommend it. You're going to run
> into size limits: ICC at 512kB and MSVC at 256kB. Use something like xxd -i
> to generate a brace-delimited array instead)
>
> Afaik that works if you use \x to escape every byte otherwise some
> implementation will mess with your data. Nothing is guaranteed to be
> passthrough otherwise

That would be ideal, but the problem I had was the unavailability of proper
tools to convert the input into a form that the C++ compiler could consume. I
was trying to do with a simple concatenation of a header, data, and footer.

The end result is a shell script, a Perl script and a powershell script:
        https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/263548

Interesting ! std::embed could be useful there (we are going a bit off script). Some kind of raw bytes literals or an implementation that would optimize parsing arrays of literals such that it is as efficient at compile time as strings would also be nice.