Chiming in with my favorite solution:
I would expect changing the encoding of char would break everything... I'd leave char and wchar_t mostly alone and start clean on char8_t.

Anyhow, I agree with Tom that the names are not indicative
How about: "narrow/wide character literal encoding" ?

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 10:39, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge@nedprod.com> wrote:
Before progressing with a solution, can I ask the question:

Is it politically feasible for C++ 23 and C 2x to require
implementations to default to interpreting source files as either (i) 7
bit ASCII or (ii) UTF-8? To be specific, char literals would thus be
either 7 bit ASCII or UTF-8.

(The reason for the 7 bit ASCII is that it is a perfect subset of UTF-8,
and that C very much wants to retain the language being implementable in
a small code base i.e. without UTF-8 support. Note the qualifier
"default" as well)

An answer to the above would determine how best to solve your issue Tom,
I think. As much as we all expect IBM et al to veto such a proposal, one
never gets anywhere without asking first.

Niall