[isocpp-sg16] What does Annex B mean by "character"

From: Alisdair Meredith <alisdairm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 23:29:30 +0700
Several of the implementation quantities specified in Annex B
talk about the number of characters in a line, or an identifier.

Now that we have a clearer notion of supporting UTF-8 source
files and unicode in identifiers, do we have a clear understanding
of what we mean by “character”.

For the implementation quantities, I expect we mean code units
in the source character set, but we might also interpret them as
Unicode code points, which might comprise multiple code units
in UTF-8.

Should we bring some clearer language to bear in Annex B, and
should we clarify our assumed understanding in each case?

AlisdairM
(On vacation in Thailand but cannot help myself)