Re: [isocpp-sg16] Agenda for the 2024-05-08 SG16 meeting

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 11:57:24 -0400
On 5/7/24 3:19 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:

> [...]
>> iostreams. We won't poll this paper during this meeting for two
>> reasons: 1) the paper is hot off the press and I don't expect
>> everyone to have already read it and internalized all the
>> implications, and 2) I'm going to limit discussion of it to the
>> first half of the meeting so that we continue to make progress on
>> P2996. The intent in discussing it, particularly with the P2996
>> authors present, is to build a sense of whether it suffices to at
>> least minimally address the printing requirements posed by the
>> P2996 authors; we may take a poll on that point.
>>
>> Our recent review of P2996R2 was constructive but not conclusive.
>> We'll continue discussion with a goal of establishing consensus
>> on the following points. Please review the meeting summary from
>> the last review
>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings/#april-24th-2024>
>> as well as the ensuing "Follow up on SG16 review of P2996R2"
>> discussion on the SG16 mailing list
>> <https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2024/04/index.php> prior to the
>> meeting.
>>
>> 1. The character type(s) and encoding(s) used for names produced
>> and consumed by reflection interfaces. My sense is that we're
>> leaning in the following direction (not unanimously though):
>> 1. Names will be produced and consumed in both the ordinary
>> literal encoding via type char and UTF-8 via type char8_t.
>> 2. Production of names that contain characters that are not
>> representable in the ordinary literal encoding will
>> produce a string that contains a UCN-like escape sequence
>> for such characters.
>> 3. Consumption of names in the ordinary literal encoding
>> will accept a UCN-like escape sequence for characters not
>> in the basic literal character set that may lack
>> representation in the ordinary literal encoding.
>> 2. The use of a distinct type for names (e.g., a type that
>> stores names in an internal representation and exposes them
>> via char and char8_t interfaces).
>> 3. Unicode NFC requirements (see below).
>>
>> We briefly discussed Unicode normalization form C (NFC) last
>> time. Following adoption of P1949R7 (C++ Identifier Syntax using
>> Unicode Standard Annex 31) <https://wg21.link/p1949r7> as a DR
>> for C++23, identifiers are required to be written in NFC.
>> Conversion to the ordinary literal encoding could result in names
>> that are not in NFC. It will presumably be necessary for P2996 to
>> specify that, for round-trip purposes, conversion to the ordinary
>> literal encoding will not perform character substitutions (e.g.,
>> UNC-like escape sequences will be generated instead). Likewise,
>> it will be necessary to specify how names that do not conform to
>> NFC will be handled by reflection interfaces that consume user
>> provided names. Note that current compiler releases exhibit
>> implementation divergence with respect to enforcement of the NFC
>> requirement (https://godbolt.org/z/E35r1K7hE; gcc does diagnose,
>> Clang and EDG do not, MSVC does not yet implement P1949R7).

Maybe! :)
> We discussed that we cannot guarantee round tripping through arbitrary
> encoding as there is no spec guaranteeing a mapping and Unicode has
> duplicate representations of the same abstract characters.
That was the motivation for the "It will presumably be necessary ..."
statement above.
> This is no different than the mapping that happens in phase 1.
There is a difference in that translation phase 1 is unidirectional. In
this case, we have a round-trip requirement.
> We observed that a lot of duplicate characters normalize to the same
> thing, making it less of a concern.
> I think we agreed (or at least that's where I wanted to get at), that
> while we cannot promise round tripping in all cases, it's not enough
> of a concern to worry about and ought not to impact the design.
That doesn't match my recollection. I had stated that more investigation
and analysis is needed and that we weren't going to be able to resolve
such questions during the last meeting.

> Whether a character can be represented at all in a non-unicode
> encoding is a much more prevalent question than whether duplicates
> round trip portably.
> I remain strongly opposed to any form of invention along the lines of
> novel escape sequences as this greatly reduce the portability of C++
> program and put undue burden on users/the ecosystem

I understand the resistance. We have several choices:

 1. Make it impossible to name some identifiers in char-based interfaces
    when the ordinary literal encoding is not UTF-8.
 2. Enable the ability to name all identifiers in char-based interfaces
    regardless of the choice of ordinary literal encoding by using some
    form of escape sequences.
 3. Not support char-based interfaces at all.

I would argue that a UNC-like escape sequence is not novel considering
that std::format() already produces such escape sequences in
[format.string.escaped] <http://eel.is/c++draft/format.string.escaped>.

I'm confused by your statement that use of such escape sequences would
harm portability. It seems to me that an escape sequence actually
enables a way to write more portable programs. Perhaps we have a
different understanding of the scope of what we're considering here.

> (And yes, as discussed previously clang does not enforce normalization
> yet.)

Hmm, perhaps Clang should be claiming partial support for P1949R7 here
<https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html#cxx23> then (with a footnote).

Tom.