Re: Agenda for the 2024-01-24 SG16 meeting

From: Mateusz Pusz <mateusz.pusz_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:48:10 +0100
Hi Tiago,

Thanks for the interesting feedback!

Here are some of my comments:

> There seems to be the temptation for the authors to adopt their personal
pet projects as a standard whit all of its quirks instead of finding a
solution that doesn’t have “quirks”.

As stated in https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P3045R0.html#introduction and
in
https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P3045R0.html#standardizing-existing-practice,
the authors of this proposal wrote many successful libraries that are on
the market for many years and are used in many production projects with
great feedback. Those are far from being "their personal pet projects". The
libraries written by us have more than 90% of all the start on GitHub, and
there is nothing more popular (maybe besides Boost.Units that is quite old
and clunky) on the market. You can read more about authors and their
experience in the domain here:
https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P3045R0.html#about-authors.

I tend not to agree with most of what you wrote about the degree of
Celsius. I definitely can add 1oC to a temperature point of 20oC. This is
what I do every day while setting the A/C in my car. And Celsius is not an
exception here. The same logic applies to any other unit of temperature
(Kelvin, Fahrenheit, etc.) and plenty of other units of various quantities
(timestamps, readouts of various quantities from the meters, and scales
like mass, velocity, etc.). Please also note that this is also what we have
done for std::chrono::duration and std::chrono::time_point for many years
now, and people are really happy with this design so far.

I think you might have some interesting ideas, though. Let's meet and
discuss those matters offline and possibly report the outcome here so as
not to spam everyone with a detailed discussion. Most probably, we will
have our next bi-weekly meeting in the week of February 5-9, and if you are
interested, I can invite you there so we can discuss your ideas.

Best

Mat

czw., 25 sty 2024 o 02:56 Tiago Freire via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>