Re: Undated reference to Unicode Standard and UAX #29

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 21:17:08 +0200
On Sat, 6 Jan 2024 at 21:03, Tom Honermann via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> *Poll 4: [FR-010-133][FR-021-013]: SG16 recommends resolving these
> comments by restricting all references to the Unicode Standard to the
> version that corresponds to the referenced version of ISO/IEC 10646.*
>
> - Attendees: 9 (1 abstention)
> SF
> SA
> 2
> 3
> 0
> 3
> 0
> No consensus.
> A: It doesn't benefit the community to reference a Unicode version
> that is outdated by the time the standard is published.
>
> It doesn't help anyone to have a standard, a specification, that changes
its meaning next week. There are controlled mechanisms
for choosing when to update to a newer specification, and all those lose
their effective meaning if the meaning of the specification
changes from underneath everyone's feet.

This is why we shouldn't backport features, and why we shouldn't have the
portable featureset change within a standard, including
the things we're based on, things we reference, whether normatively or
otherwise, when their updates change how the language
works.

GCC 10 isn't going to get updates reflecting an updated Unicode standard.
Neither is GCC 17 in the future, when the time comes that
it's a no-longer-supported version.