Re: SG16 meeting summary for November 29th, 2023

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:32:53 -0500
On 1/4/24 8:36 AM, Mateusz Pusz via SG16 wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks a lot for sharing the notes.
>
> In the meantime, I progressed a few things:
>
> 1. `std::array` is a structural type indeed, but there is no way to
> make the code below work:
>
> template<std::array Txt>
> class Foo {};
> Foo<"abc"> foo;
>
> To make it work, we would need dedicated deduction guides for this use
> case in `std::array` or a UDL, which are not going to happen. Also,
> the lack of overloaded operators with zero-ended-strings
> semantics (e.g., `op+`) makes it harder to work with it.
Agreed, and direct use of std:array would not be preferred over a more
specific type regardless.

> 2. All enumerations of `unit_symbol_formatting` are now `std::int8_t`
> per Victor's suggestions.
Good.

> 3. I have updated the grammar to
> https://mpusz.github.io/mp-units/2.2/users_guide/framework_basics/text_output/#stdformat.
> Now, each part of the `unit-modifier` is optional, and I tried to
> specify that the order does not matter. Please let me know if that is
> the correct way to spell it.
I think that looks ok, though I remain skeptical that supporting
arbitrary ordering is desirable. That isn't an SG16 concern though.

> 4. I opened https://github.com/mpusz/mp-units/issues/540, which asks
> users to provide a detailed rationale for text and Unicode options. I
> also asked people for opinions on LinkedIn:
> https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7148664814238707715.

Thank you. I added a comment to the issue. Unfortunately, I think it
does not pose the right question since the C++ standard cannot require
support for characters that are not in the basic literal character set.

Tom.