Re: UAX Profiles

From: Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:05:39 +0100
On 06/01/2024 11.56, Corentin via SG16 wrote:
> ZWJ, and variations selectors seem to have been added to XID_Continueas of Unicode 15.1,

Uh, interesting.

> despite UAX31 recognizing that "The use of default-ignorable characters in identifiers is problematic".

https://unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Acknowledgments

says

"Acknowledgments

The attendees of the Source Code Working Group meetings assisted with the substantial changes made in Versions 15.0 and 15.1:
... Tom Honermann, ..., Robin Leroy, ..., Richard Smith."

These names sound familiar to me, and at least two of them are
probably on this e-mail reflector.

Could one of them say something about what happened?

> The solution to that is to define that we implement the Default-Ignorable Exclusion Profile <https://unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Default_Ignorable_Exclusion_Profile>,
> which I believe restores the Unicode 15 / C++23/ SG16 consensus on Identifier grammar behavior.

The whole point of deferring to Unicode for the details of identifier
characters was to never deal with any details again at the C++ level.

So, if Unicode decided that ZWJ and ZWNJ are now fine in identifiers,
why are we suddenly deciding to have second thoughts on that?
> It is very surprising to me that ZWJ is opt-out rather than opt-in given the security implications and the fact supporting them requires implementation of TR39 3.1.1 <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr39/#Joining_Controls>.

Yes. In particular since the previous approach was opt-in, according to our Annex E.2.2.
Turning around like that in a minor revision of a standard is a bit discomforting.

Oh, and our Annex E needs updating for the new revision of UAX#31.

Jens