Re: SG16 wish list for 2024

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:29:55 -0500
On 12/12/23 6:46 PM, Victor Zverovich wrote:
> > I think it is worth noting that C++23 makes it possible, for the
> first time, to write a proper version of hello world in C++.
>
> This is quite a milestone!
>
> In my opinion we should think bigger and tackle the rest of formatted
> I/O so that we have a proper alternative for all of the stdio and
> iostreams, and not just parts of them. Elias made great progress
> on P1729 and I've been investigating how to make it work better with C
> streams. Hopefully SG16 will have cycles for this paper next year.

Bigger is good! And yes, continuing review of P1729 is high on my
priority list.

For reference, here are the papers that I have at the top of my list to
schedule for upcoming meetings, in no particular order. In some cases I
need to circle back with authors to confirm whether these are ready for
further review.

  * P1729: Text Parsing
  * P2626: charN_t incremental adoption: Casting pointers of UTF
    character types
  * P2348: Whitespaces Wording Revamp
  * P2749: Down with ”character”
  * P2728: Unicode in the Library, Part 1: UTF Transcoding
  * P2729: Unicode in the Library, Part 2: Normalization

> It would also be good to have at least parts of the Unicode database
> available since it is an important building block for other facilities
> (including std::format) and it is very unfortunate that we only get to
> use it internally.

I agree. I think the challenge is balancing interface simplicity and
stability with enabling good performance with enabling use in constexpr
context. But I could be overthinking things.

Tom.