Re: SG16 wish list for 2024

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:03:51 -0500
On 12/12/23 1:20 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
> Yup, the high bit is getting support for u8 strings in format/print.
> More generally, making sure the standard library works with u8
> strings at a basic level
>
> I would be content if we only supported u8 arguments as a first
> iteration. IE, convert a u8 argument to the encoding of the format
> strings, whatever that might be.
> Beyond that, a facility to transcode between execution/utf-8 is
> critical, work on that seems to have slowed down.

I agree.

You made a very good choice with P1885 (Naming Text Encodings to
Demystify Them) <https://wg21.link/p1885> to separately expose the
literal, environment, and locale encodings; we need to be able to
provide conversion between all of them. WG14 N3095 (Restartable and
Non-Restartable Functions for Efficient Character Conversions)
<https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n3095.htm> only
provides conversions from/to the current locale encoding as affected by
calls to setlocale(), so it doesn't provide a basis for conversion
between all the encodings that the standard recognizes. We're going to
need P1629 (Transcoding the 🌐 - Standard Text Encoding)
<https://wg21.link/p1629> or similar to make good progress here.

> On a personal note, I'd like to make progress on P2626, let me know
> how we can make that happen.

Yes, that has been right near the top of my list to schedule for a
meeting. I'm happy to schedule this for the 2024-01-10 SG16 meeting if
that works for you.

> Do we still want to work on unicode properties?

I think so, eventually. I lean towards getting support for the Unicode
algorithms in place first and then consider what makes sense to expose.

Tom.