Custom unicode transcoding in P1030 path_view

From: Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:07:35 +0000
Dear SG16,

In the Varna meeting LEWG voted to remove the std::locale overloads from
P1030 path_view, with SG16 to decide on a better alternative.

The std::locale overloads were added in R4. My memory is that SG16 asked
for those to be added in order to be compatible with filesystem::path,
so there is a one-one correspondence such that each maps onto the other
equivalently, however during the LEWG meeting the relevant minutes for
SG16 were consulted and no mention of this was found.

I was hoping that this mailing list might be able to give an indication
of what would be the preferred alternative to std::locale going forth,
given that filesystem::path uses std::locale and if path_view uses an
alternative, I would expect filesystem::path would also need to be
similarly upgraded to match (i.e. remember ABI concerns)?

Regards,
Niall