Re: Performance requirements for Unicode views/types/algorithms

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 10:36:21 +0100
We need to consider the use cases.
Sure, being able to decode 15 gigabytes per second sounds nice but, why are
we doing that?
Do we want 60 gigabytes of codepoints in memory?
You need to have *some* process to feed that data too. (note that Lemire
provides some use cases, so they do exist).

We also should consider that simd only makes sense if you can feed the CPU
to begin with. Most strings are small.
It certainly doesn't make sense in the context of feeding unicode
algorithms, decoding is not the bottleneck!
(For small strings, you might spend more cpu cycles make sure the data is
aligned and prefetching state tables that doing actual work)

I'd also question whether ICU constitutes the paragon of non-SIMD
performance. The benchmarks should probably consider
https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/main/icu4c/source/common/ustrtrns.cpp#L260
https://bjoern.hoehrmann.de/utf-8/decoder/dfa/

For validation, the interface will look like bool-or-some-elaborate-result-type
is-valid(iterators-or-range)
regardless, and for that, implementers could use simd (I'd argue that the
best motivated use case for eagerly munching through massive amount of utf
data).

And again, to get Lemire kind of performance, you need Lemire kind of time
commitment, for a few users (most people do not compile with avx 512
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX-512#CPUs_with_AVX-512), and will
implementers support neon, altivec, etc? Lemire and all actually provided
different implementations for different intel generations)