Re: Performance requirements for Unicode views/types/algorithms

From: Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:18:07 +0000
On 26/02/2023 01:48, Steve Downey via SG16 wrote:

> Much text processing is tied to IO and the performance is mostly
> secondary. If we could make accidentally incorrect harder to do that
> would be a win.

My consumer hardware storage here does 14Gb/sec reads (two PCIe 4.0 SSDs
in RAID0). Only a few years ago that was main memory speeds for a high
end PC.

I think you need to assume text processing, and especially Unicode
parsing, is basically main memory speeds whether it is from i/o or not.

I really wish SIMD had better support for UTF-8, only AVX-512 enables a
decent fraction of main memory bandwidth
(https://github.com/simdutf/simdutf). I'd like to see as much of that
performance passed through by the standard library as possible, even if
it makes the API non-STL-like.

Niall