User-defined compile time messages; P2741R0 and P2758R0

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 00:16:36 -0500
SG16 currently has two papers in its queue that seek to allow code
evaluated in constant expression context to produce text to be displayed
to a (compiler) user at compile time.

  * P2741R0 <https://wg21.link/p2741r0>: user-generated static_assert
    messages
  * P2758R0 <https://wg21.link/p2758r0>: Emitting messages at compile time

JF is planning for EWG to review these in Issaquah. Since SG16 will not
be meeting in Issaquah, our options are limited for providing
recommendations prior to that initial EWG review. JF has asked that we
conduct a review via mailing list to collect input prior to EWG's
review. SG16 will still review post-Issaquah as we usually would in
order to provide a recommendation for EWG to consider in a future
telecon or in Varna.

Please respond to this message with your thoughts on these papers before
Monday, February 6th, if possible; I know that is short notice. I will
plan to prepare a summary for EWG.

These papers overlap considerably. The authors have already been
encouraged to collaborate on a joint proposal.

Tom.