Re: [isocpp-lib-ext] std::environment

From: Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 19:31:03 -0700
Thanks for posting this Tom — really good paper input :) I’ve indeed started drafting an outline and this is *way harder/worse* than I hoped. I *think* I agree with most everything that’s been said so far — here’s my summary so of directional thoughts so far:

1) It is a non-negotiable requirement for std::process — a different proposal I’ll be restarting — to write the environment before launching a child process — Ville and Jake's points. There simply is no standard way to do it currently — putenv, unsetenv is posix only. No matter what I think this should be fixed.

2) In my survey of other languages, basically none of them can really solve the thread safety issues. Why? Because it’s not supported by the platforms -- so I think it's literally not possible. You can have 3 Rust threads all mutexed on shared environment while a C thread does whatever it wants and messes them up. Their documentation is very clear on this point — read Jake’s points.

So as Jonathan indicates we could create an api that does a snapshot of the environment that can be accesses safely — but of course that won’t be accurate if another thread changes it. To my mind, this doesn’t fix the problem. Unfortunately this is unprotected global state and short of a thread safe platform api c++ probably can’t fix it. So sure, we could provide some API that limits a C++ program from stomping on itself if it’s all C++ — maybe that’s worth it so that c++ libraries and user code could count on that facility? Still not going to fix threads in C or other languages from bad interactions with C++ threads.

3) Aside from the obvious pointer usability issues, getenv isn’t a great way to ‘discover’ what’s actually set in the environment. Keeping in mind that often — ‘not set’ has meaning. Currently you'd need to ask one a a time. I think there’s some value to a range based facility to grab a set of variables (even a post on reddit this week of a lib that can grab a filtered set).

I’ll now assume all the respondents fo this thread will be early feedback candidates :)

Jeff