Re: Agenda for the 2022-11-30 SG16 telecon​; questions for P2675R0

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 18:09:01 -0500
On 11/29/22 6:04 PM, Corentin Jabot wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 11:47 PM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On 11/29/22 5:32 PM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 11:13 PM Tom Honermann via SG16
>> <sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Corentin, I'm having a hard time understanding what the
>> screenshots included in P2675R0 are showing. The paper
>> doesn't explain (or I missed it) what was done to produce
>> those screenshots. I can't tell what code points the
>> displayed glyphs correspond to. The set of characters
>> displayed seems to differ; the number of rows displayed is
>> not consistent. It doesn't seem to be possible to dive into
>> the data to determine which characters are being rendered
>> differently. Basically, I'm unable to evaluate whether the
>> screenshots support the proposal.
>>
>> It would also be helpful if the screenshots included
>> information about the terminal encoding (almost always UTF-8
>> I would guess/hope) and the font(s) used. I recognize
>> gathering such data could be challenging.
>>

>> Well, given the first collection took many days and involved a
>> large number of people, that may prove challenging.
>> I did intend to have the characters separated by |, but by the
>> time I realized that it was too late.
>> Knowing the fonts used would be even more challenging as in the
>> absence of a codepoint renderers will try to find some other
>> similar font.
>> For east asian characters, they will be aligned no matter the
>> font, for emoji they may or may not be rendered on the grid.
>>
>> The paper contains a script that was used to generate the list of
>> codepoint rendered.
>> I intended to include that list however it proved difficult to
>> handle for google docs, and apparently subsequentely forgot to
>> put a reference
>> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cor3ntin/e5731f77574b146d806e39283e8c7cb7/raw/01d760e7fbb6a56c637a3ce34688e1da286df287/full_width.hpp
>> Feel free to try on your system.
>>
>> The TL;DR is that on a conforming system with sufficient fonts -
>> which is not all systems, in part because Unicode 15 is recent
>> and not all terminals display wide tofu properly - what is
>> proposed is coherent with existing terminal behaviors. And we
>> should not try to placate over temporary deficiency of one
>> specific terminal over another.
>
> Thanks, could you please add that kind of description to the next
> revision of the paper? Not for tomorrow obviously.
>
> Having taken a look at the gist linked above, I have to conclude
> that the screenshots currently in the paper are not beneficial.
> Some screenshots show rows from the top of the gist and others
> from the bottom, but I can only tell that by guessing based on
> glyph shape and being locally able to look at the entire gist.
>
> Having a large number of screenshots is not important to me. I
> would be happy to have examples for just the following. But I
> would like screenshots that provide an apples-to-apples comparison
> [...]
They are present, but they are incomplete and it is not possible for me
to make sense of them.
> You are free to collect your own of course, not everyone is able to
> show every codepoint at once given screen size, etc.
I understand that taking multiple screenshots would likely be required
to show a complete presentation.
> And it's beside the point.
> My point is that the standard currently has arbitrary rules that do
> not follow any existing practice.
Victor obtained the list by looking at existing practice.
> Can you justify the current list, as it is in the standard?
> Can you justify https://godbolt.org/z/McoG64n1v ?

I'm trying to evaluate your proposal against the status quo.
Unfortunately, the paper is not proving all that helpful in doing so.

Tom.