Re: SG16 meeting summary for September 28th, 2022

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 23:45:08 +0200
On the second poll, I'll copy the message I sent before the meeting

--
There are further issues here.
The width of grapheme is independent of encodings.
We are just not forcing implementation not to decode. Is that what we want?
I don't think it is useful.
Most encodings cannot represent any of the wide codepoints, the wideness of
codepoints in shift jis can be derived without doing a full decoding.
Suggested resolution:
For a string decoded to a sequence of unicode codepoints, its width is the
sum of estimated widths of the first code points in its extended grapheme
clusters.
If the intent is for implementers to throw their hands in the air when the
encoding is not "a unicode encoding", then surely
we want to support UTF-8/16/32 and that's it. UTF-EBCDIC isn't more
important or special than shift-jis and there is no reason for one encoding
to have privileged handling over the other.
More generally, any unicode that can round trip through Unicode should
qualify as Unicode encoding, but I don't think we have a definition of that
anywhere.
Unicode defines Unicode Encoding Form
> A character encoding form that assigns each Unicode scalar value to a
unique code unit sequence
--
Ie, I don't think the poll solves anything, it just uses a different
terminology to describe the same thing (nothing in iso 10646 leads me to