Re: [isocpp-core] P2295 Support for UTF-8 as a portable source file encoding

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 18:50:37 +0200
On 09/06/2022 16.23, Corentin via Core wrote:
> _Option 2: _
>
> An implementation shall support UTF-8 source files. It may also support an implementation-defined set of other kinds of source files, and, if so, it shall provide an implementation-defined means of designating a file as a UTF-8 source file, independent of the content of that source file. [Note: In other words, recognizing the U+FEFF Byte Order Mark is not sufficient. --end note].
>
> If a source file is determined to be a UTF-8 source file, then it shall be a well-formed UTF-8 code unit sequence and its content is decoded to produce a sequence of UCS scalar values that constitutes the sequence of elements of the translation character set.

We use "designate" in one place and "determined" in another when
talking about UTF-8 source files.

What's the operative difference between those words?
If there is some, I'd appreciate making the difference
clearer, e.g. by saying

"is designated or otherwise determined to be a UTF-8 source file..."

Jens