Re: SG16 meeting summary for April 13th, 2022

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:39:23 -0400
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 4:20 PM Tom Honermann via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 4/26/22 4:12 PM, Jens Maurer via SG16 wrote:
> > On 26/04/2022 22.06, Tom Honermann via SG16 wrote:
> >> The summary for the SG16 meeting held April 13th, 2022 is now
> available. For those that attended, please review and suggest corrections.
> >>
> >> * https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#april-13th-2022
> >>
> >> No decisions were made at this meeting.
> >>
> >> I again apologize for being so delinquent getting the summary published.
> >>
> >> Jens, I fear I misunderstood or incorrectly captured some of your
> comments. Please see the editor's note starting with "This behavior doesn't
> seem related to the proposed change since ...". If you recall the
> discussion being different than I wrote, I'll update it to reflect your
> recollection.
> > I think you should just strike all of this:
> >
> > Jens stated that this makes such intended use in identifiers ill-formed
> since, after this change, such a character would appear as a lone
> preprocessing-token.
> > [ Editor's note: This behavior doesn't seem related to the proposed
> change since, previously, a UCN naming one of these characters would also
> appear as a lone preprocessing-token. The editor is concerned that this
> portion of the discussion was not captured accurately. ]
>
> Done, thank you!
>

> > I think there was some development during the discussion
> > about the current and future state with these new
> > characters. Having an updated paper clearly stating
> > the current and with-paper situations would be helpful.
>
> Agreed, I suspect Steve intends to provide that.
>
> Tom.
>

> That's what I'm planning. The complicated bit is the implications for the
"C" locale, although it's not an issue for the "POSIX" locale, although I
don't think it's a real world concern these days that the default encoded
character set doesn't have what POSIX calls the portable character set.
Tracing the requirements is tedious because C++ defers to C, which in turn
defers to the ISO version of the POSIX specification for much of the locale
machinery.

Paper soon.