Re: Why stdout is the default in std::print? (P2093)

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 10:35:52 -0800
On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 10:18:49 PST Jens Maurer wrote:
> Do you have any statistics or similar to back up your claim
> "No one does that"?
>
> My personal experience is that it's a common recommendation to
> disable the synchronization in a C++-only program that doesn't
> use stdout/stderr at all.

No, I don't. This is mostly a guess, based on:
a) it's not the default, therefore few people will know about it or the
   recommendation (I'd never seen it myself, though it is logical)
b) most programs aren't C++-only

Real world gets in the way and we must interact with C libraries. I expect
most libraries don't do output to stdout (libraries ought to be silent, except
for libraries meant for output), but it does happen because in the real world,
libraries often do unclean things.