[SG16] Feedback on D2071R1 Named universal character escapes

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 21:30:45 +0200
- The "Document #" in the title should refer to R1 (if that'S what it's talking about).

 - There should not be two sections called "wording", in particular if one of the
sections says "core wording", leaving me to wonder whether another section might
contain library wording.

Just call the One "Wording" and anything else "description" or "quote" or whatever.

 - P2029 Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; escapes in character and string literals
has been merged in November 2020, so

"If [P2029R1] “Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and
universal character escapes in character and string literals” is adopted, substantial
wording updates will be required."

is unhelpful.

 - I thought we agreed on making named-escape-sequences part of
universal-character-names, so the "Core Wording" section should
just go.

Looking at 11 Universal Character Name Wording

 - n-char: use U+0020 SPACE (or whatever the name is) to designate "space"

 - named-universal-character should be added as an option for universal-character-name.
The \u{ hex } delimited-hex-sequence option should not be shown, because the
relevant paper is still in flight.

 - "A named-universal-character is translated to the universal-character-name
with the code point of the ISO/IEC 10646 associated character name or
character name alias that matches the name specified by the n-char-sequence."

This needs a bit of wordsmithing, to be parallel with the hex case:

"A named-universal-character designates the character in the translation character
set whose associated character name as assigned by ISO 10646 matches the given
n-char-sequence."

The existing text in lex.charset p2

"A universal-character-name designates the character in the translation character set whose UCS scalar value is
the hexadecimal number represented by the sequence of hexadecimal-digits in the universal-character-name."

needs to be adjusted, because the new style of universal-character-name does
not have hexadecimal-digits at all.

"Matching of names is case-sensitive and whitespace-sensitive."

I thought we wanted a more relaxed matching algorithm.

Jens