Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-10-06 SG16 telecon

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:15:20 -0400
Tom: UTF-16 as 8-byte code units is not a valid narrow or wide encoding due
to 0-valued code units that are not NUL.

Jens: There's three major classes of non-Unicode wchar_t types I know of:
padded single-byte values, EBCDIC DBCS, and ISO 2022 with planes linearly
encoded at offsets; these are all ambiguously named due to the historic
confusion between coded character sets versus character encoding schemes.

General comment: I think a reinterpret_cast + iconv model is the most
consistent with the IANA definitions and some intended uses of the facility
(even if iconv implementations aren't there yet).

Corentin: I'm still not getting what the "byte-order agnostic" verbiage is
trying to say.

re: "UTF-16" endianness, if we can take the iconv use case into account,
then we don't want iconv to do BOM-based endianness detection and various
iconv implementations I tried respect BOMs when told to process "UTF-16"
input (and outputs native-endian BOM for "UTF-16" output).