Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-06-23 SG16 telecon

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:53:20 -0400
In fact ANSI and ECMA-48 escape sequences only require 7 bits of data, and
they include escapes for what would be C1 control characters above 7F, so
there's no need for anything that doesn't appear to be valid UTF-8.
In other encodings, you would have to avoid transcoding, since it's the
byte values that drive the terminals state machine.

Kermit, xmodem, etc, would use shift locking to encode 8 bit data over a 7
bit channel, if I remember correctly. But that's really getting outside the
bounds of text handling.