Re: [SG16] [isocpp-lib-ext] Comment re: Library Motion 16, P2216R3, std::format improvements

From: Charlie Barto <Charles.Barto_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:59:47 +0000
The Microsoft implementation doesn’t have to deal with any encodings where the basic format string control characters aren’t invariant. We have to deal with a slightly different issue where some bytes of multibyte characters in some encodings are bit-identical to format control characters. This means that if we detect such an encoding may be in use we can’t skip any bytes when searching through the format string for control characters, as we’d have no way of knowing if control characters we find were multibyte continuations or not (there may be clever backtracking tricks we could do).

Additionally, because we have nothing like P1885 in our compiler we can’t parse the format string at compile time if we don’t detect the literal encoding is UTF-8 (we detect UTF-8 by forming a literal string at constexpr time and looking at its bytes, this may be possible for other encodings, but it would be encoding specific). This is because if we can’t detect UTF-8 we _assume_ that the literal encoding is the same as the _runtime_ system locale (this locale is different from the one std::locale() gives, and can’t be changed in windows without a reboot). This is, to some extent, wrong. And means if you don’t use the `/utf-8` compiler option then in some cases your program won’t run correctly on systems with a different locale, however it’s the usual/”expected” behavior. We then use the runtime system locale and various CRT functions to correctly iterate over the format string.

On the subject of P1885, we don’t actually need P1885 to be standardized to implement constexpr format string parsing on non-utf execution character sets, we just need to compiler magic that enables a P1885 implementation, and that’s something that, as far as I understand (I’m not an expert in our compiler frontend) is not that hard to implement, we just haven’t gotten to it yet.

To do compile time parsing for such encodings we’d need to get access to some of the CRT’s encoding database at compile time, it’s very possible, but a little annoying. On the upside once we do that our behavior will be correct even if the program is run on a system with a different “system” locale than the one implied by `/execution-charset`.

Also, the “status-quo” is that mixing object files compiled using different execution charsets is unlikely to always work. It can affect ABI, and indeed if you have basic_format_args or _format-arg-store_ as part of your ABI then trying to pass that object to a version of std::format that’s been instantiated using `/utf-8` won’t work correctly if the format string contains any non-ascii characters. In any case, I think the standard can assume that all TUs are compiled with the same execution character set, if not then your code is non-standard and may not work correctly.