Re: [SG16] Comment re: Library Motion 16, P2216R3, std::format improvements

From: Victor Zverovich <victor.zverovich_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:21:17 -0700
Just to clarify: I wouldn't say that P2216 introduces a new concept. If you
look at P0645 as well as its discussions, locale-independent formatting has
always been a part of the design and it includes both format string parsing
and formatting. Moreover, the ability to do compile-time checks via
constexpr formatter<T>::parse functions were added per LEWG request back in
R1 of P0645 although admittedly it could be better specified. I agree that
if there are any concerns they can be addressed via LWG issues.

> I am not aware of implementation experience for this paper in
environments where characters significant to the interpretation of the
format string are not locale-invariant.

There is implementation experience with statically detecting UTF-8 in
std::format implementation in Microsoft/STL:
https://github.com/microsoft/STL/issues/1820. P2216 is also fully
implemented in the fmt library and compile-time checks have been available
in a different form (because of lack of consteval) for several years.

Cheers,
Victor