Re: [SG16] (SC22WG14.19430) [wg14/wg21 liaison] Draft WG14 N2653: char8_t: A type for UTF-8 characters and strings (Revision 1)

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 11:49:39 -0400
On 6/5/21 4:27 PM, Victor Yodaiken wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 9:51 AM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote
>

>> Why is it not desirable?
>
> I mentioned that there is a tradeoff between code efficiency and
> safety in the updates made to the paper.
>
> maybe im looking at the wrong version but i dont see any discussion of
> that

 From here
<https://rawgit.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/master/papers/n2653.html#do_char8_t_type>.
Start reading at the paragraph that begins with "Additional motivation
for distinct integer types is the ability to specify them as
non-aliasing types".

> The following example code would be well-formed in C regardless of
whether char8_t is specified as a new integer type or as a typedef name
of an existing character type. If char8_t is specified as a typedef name
of an existing character type, then the example also works as expected
because it does not violate aliasing rules. However, if char8_t is
specified as a new integer type, then the example would exhibit
undefined behavior because an object of type char is accessed using the
char8_t type (assuming no new special provisions added to C17 6.5,
Expressions, paragraph 7). *Thus, there is a trade-off between code
efficiency and safety inherent in how **char8_t**is defined*.

>> Thank you, good suggestion.
>>
>> I updated the "typedef name vs a new integer type"
>> <https://rawgit.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/master/papers/n2653.html#do_char8_t_type>
>> section and have now submitted the paper to
>>

>> That seems more useful. What is the purpose of creating more type
>> restrictions?
>
> The usual reasons; a coherent object model enables type based
> analysis for improved code generation and other forms of static
> analysis.
>

> What makes it coherent to have unnecessary type ub?
> What evidence shows tbaa improves performance on real programs?
> My concern is that there is too much ub in the standard already

I'm not going to debate this here as other forums are better suited for
discussing the pros and cons of the C object model. I'm confident WG14
is well positioned to make a decision with regard to this paper.

Tom.