Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-04-28 SG16 telecon

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:42:25 -0400
On 4/27/21 2:34 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:

> [...]
>> programmers to, when building code with the /utf-8
>> option, to also force selection of a UTF-8 code page via
>> a manifest
>> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/globalizing/use-utf8-code-page>
>> and require use of Windows 10 build 1903 or later.
>> * When the literal encoding is UTF-8, specify that
>> non-UTF-8 based locale dependent translations be
>> implicitly transcoded (such transcoding should never
>> result in errors except perhaps for memory allocation
>> failures).
>> * Drop the special case handling for the literal encoding
>> being UTF-8 and specify that, when bypassing a stream to
>> write directly to the console, that the output be
>> implicitly transcoded from the current locale dependent
>> encoding (whatever it is) to the console encoding (UTF-8).
>>

>> We have 2 things to explain to LEWG for print. And we do not need
>> to operate change to the design, just to explain things to them
>> in a terms they can understand (and they want to rely on our
>> expertise which
>> implies consensus among ourselves)
>>
>> 1. It is always non-sense to interpret a string in encoding X
>> when it is in fact not.
>> 2. From there, if a string literal is in UTF-8, we HAVE to assume
>> the execution encoding is also utf-8. Why rely on the literal
>> encoding and not execution? it is resilient to call to setlocale
>> and more efficient. Also, format strings are likely to be literals.
>> 3. From there if that string is displayed on a
>> terminal/console/screen/tty, it is text. So it has to be rendered
>> correctly. On a specific system (windows) there is a way to
>> enforce that. Because windows has a separate mechanism for
>> unicode display and console handling that exists independently of
>> the C++ execution encoding.
>> 4. "we have to assume" in 2. implies a precondition. That is true
>> REGARDLESS of utf-8 or not. in all cases the format string has to
>> be interpreted as text, which assumes it is valid in the
>> execution encoding. CF the Microsoft STL issue for braces in
>> shift JS.
>> 5. This means that converting to UTF-16 on windows for the
>> purpose of console display is always valid (no ""transcosding""
>> error) within the contract of the function, and as such does not
>> have to be specified. Preconditions violations are UB within the
>> standard library and we should keep doing that. In practice the
>> implementation (which is here the terminal, not the stl) will do
>> character replacement the best it can, or render something horrible.
>
> I agree with all of that, but I don't see how it relates to the
> problematic example above. The issue with the example is that the
> "%r" field specifier may cause non-UTF-8 content supplied by the
> locale to be written.
>
> I see two problems here.
> One is that this should not be locale dependent by default - has that
> been discussed? It seems to run amok of fmt design.
Agreed; other email threads are now addressing that.

> The other is that, if print("xxx{}", foo) assumes that xxx is utf8,
> and the formated result is displayed onto a terminal, then the entire
> thing _has to_ be utf-8. note that this is because of
> a precondition on the act if displaying on the terminal which has
> nothing to do with formatting it's a 2 step process format -> print on
> terminal both of which have different preconditions (formating puts a
> requirement on the format string, to parse it, print additionally puts
> preconditions that the resulting thing will be utf8 such that
> individual arguments have to be to.

I think we are agreed here, but perhaps looking at the problem from
different perspectives.

It sounds like your position is, if the locale uses a non-UTF-8 encoding
(when literal encoding is UTF-8), that a precondition violation occurs
and we get UB (effectively, the 2nd possible direction I listed). I
think that is a valid perspective.

Some of the other options that I listed are intended to avoid the
precondition by having std::print() (and std::format()) just do the
right thing by transcoding the locale sensitive data requested by the
format field specifier from the locale encoding to UTF-8.

>> The locale in there is a red herring. Changing the execution
>> encoding is always dicey - all strings that were correctly
>> interpreted correctly before the locale change are potentially no
>> longer
>> correctly interpreted because their encoding no longer matches
>> the new execution encoding.
>> The existence of a setlocale function doesn't imply that calling
>> it leads to sensible results if the locale change also changes
>> the encoding :)
> The example doesn't assume a locale change, at least not beyond an
> initial std::setlocale(LC_ALL, "") during program startup.
>>

>> > Specialize std::locale facets
>> <https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/locale/locale> and related I/O
>> manipulators like std::put_time()
>> <https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/manip/put_time> for
>> char8_t. This would allow std::print() to, when the literal
>> encoding is UTF-8, opt-in to use of the UTF-8/char8_t facets and
>> I/O manipulators.
>>
>> This is a different issue, one Peter and I have discussed. we
>> should not try to shove char into char8_t. Both char8_t and utf-8
>> char are valid use cases. Also, the whole point of fmt::print is
>> to avoid all of that :)
>
> I think this is strongly related, or we are misunderstanding each
> other. I see the point of std::print() being to bypass the
> implicit (wrong) console transcoding.
>
> fmt::print just dumps the bytes in the general case, similarly to
> printf, that is then interpreted incorrectly by the windows console. I
> don't see where there might be transcoding
> in the program (I expect the console to do interesting things, but
> that's outside of C++).
>
> C++ thinks a string is Utf-8
> System (incorrectly) disagrees
> System has a method that allows it to agree
> Do we use that method?

I think we've been focusing on different things here. The issue I'm
trying to discuss is independent of use of the
write-directly-to-the-console method. This discussion is about having
std::print() (and std::format()) internally ensure that that format
arguments provided by the locale are transcoded to match the encoding of
the format string. This happens before anything is written to the
console; this is the step where the formatting is done and the intent is
to ensure that well-formed text is produced *before* it is transcoded to
the native console encoding (whether that be UTF-8, UTF-16, whatever).
Transcoding requires well-formed input of course.

Does this help to get us on the same page?

> I strongly agree that char8_t and UTF-8 char are valid use cases.
>

>> > When the literal encoding is UTF-8, stipulate that running the
>> program in a non-UTF-8 based locale is non-conforming. This
>> would effectively require MSVC programmers to, when building code
>> with the /utf-8 option, to also force selection of a UTF-8 code
>> page via a manifest
>> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/globalizing/use-utf8-code-page>
>> and require use of Windows 10 build 1903 or later.
>>
>> If you program contains literals that are not correctly
>> interpreted by the execution encoding, the behavior of your
>> program cannot be correct <insert scary U word>. So they should
>> probably do that but it seems out of scope.
>> The literalS encoding and the execution encoding should be
>> consistent (each string literal should be correctly interpreted).
>>
>> > When the literal encoding is UTF-8, specify that non-UTF-8
>> based locale dependent translations be implicitly transcoded
>> Sorry, can you detail what you mean? I do not understand, sorry
> In the example above, the "%r" field specifier indicates that a
> locale dependent 12-hour clock time be formatted. The AM/PM
> designator to be formatted is locale dependent. If the locale is
> not UTF-8 based, then mojibake is produced (if the literal
> encoding is UTF-8). This suggestion addresses the problem by
> implicitly transcoding the locale dependent AM/PM designator from
> the locale encoding to UTF-8 when formatting the output.
>

> Think about cases in which that can happen
> There is a non-utf8 locale and a utf8 string literal mixed together.
Yes, exactly, that is the issue. This discussion is about what we do
about it. We can call it UB (though I don't find that particularly
reasonable) or we can specify that locale provided strings be implicitly
transcoded (within std::print() / std::format()) to UTF-8 (to match the
encoding of the format string).

>> > Drop the special case handling for the literal encoding being
>> UTF-8 and specify that, when bypassing a stream to write directly
>> to the console, that the output be implicitly transcoded from the
>> current locale dependent encoding (whatever it is) to the console
>> encoding (UTF-8).
>>
>> Dropping the special case seems more difficult in terms of wording.
> I think it is simpler actually; we would just have to say that the
> implicit transcoding is from the locale encoding to the console
> encoding.
>

> It's really hard to know what the console encoding is (it is a very
> microsoft specific thing), and the windows console basically have a
> wide (utf16) and narrow encoding (not sure it works exactly like that
> but it's a good enough model)
> Transcoding in the general case might be worse.

I think we're talking about different things here again. I meant the
native console encoding; e.g., the encoding that Microsoft's
WriteConsoleW() expects (UTF-16). I don't mean the broken ANSI console
encoding.

Tom.