Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-04-28 SG16 telecon

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:15:59 -0400
On 4/27/21 10:52 AM, Victor Zverovich via SG16 wrote:
> Dear Unicoders,
>
> Thanks, Tom, for putting together a detailed list of options. Just
> want to add that print is a completely wrong abstraction level to try
> to address this (we should address it but it has little to do with
> P2093). The root cause is a mismatch between literal and locale
> encoding and it should be addressed on the formatting level in cases
> where a locale is used.

Yes, I agree, 100%. I think the only reason the problem is seen as more
relevant for std::print() is because the proposal intends to process the
formatted output (e.g., transcode it from UTF-8 to native console
encoding) when the literal encoding is UTF-8 where as std::format() just
dumps the bytes and produces mojibake (thus making it someone else's
problem).

> Here's an example from another thread that illustrates this:
>
> std::cout << std::format("时间 {:%r}\n",
> std::chrono::system_clock::now().time_since_epoch());
>
> I think this belongs to a separate small (but important) paper unless
> the resolution is so trivial that it can be a drive-by fix in P2093.
A separate paper works for me though, per above, I think std::print() is
arguably more impacted by the issue than std::format() is.

> One more option is to give a runtime error when trying to use (via 'L'
> or other means) a locale with the encoding incompatible with the
> literal encoding. I'd either go with that or do transcoding. Dropping
> UTF-8 handling is the least desirable option in my opinion and will
> basically render the feature useless for me as a user.

Agreed.

> I mostly agree with Corentin except that '%r' can be considered as an
> explicit locale opt-in similar to 'L'.

Would it not be useful to be able to format dates and times in a locale
independent manner though (and have that be the default)?

Tom.