Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-04-28 SG16 telecon

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:10:57 +0200
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 12:57 PM Jean-Marc Bourguet via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'm probably too much a Unix guy, but having
>
> prog
>
> and
>
> prog | more
>
> or
>
> prog > file; cat file
>
> displaying different things is not something that meets my expectations.
> The difference in buffering behaviour is already hard enough to explain.
> Piping to more is far too common for it behaving differently than direct
> output.
>
> Yours,

Either way you are printing out the same content.
Except in one case it is _rendered_ correctly and in the other it might not.
This will also not affect linux, it is addressing a very windows-specific
problem for which the encoding the console assumes by default is not the
execution encoding.
This is explained in more details in Victor's paper
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2021/p2093r5.html#unicode