Re: [SG16] Wording strategy for Unicode std::format

From: Victor Zverovich <victor.zverovich_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:35:52 -0700
> Corentin:
> If our requirements are ... - all of which I agree with individually - I
don't see a path forward.

I don't see any problem. Since we are in the beginning of the C++23 cycle
it makes sense to tackle more difficult problems such as locale first.
Adding format overloads is not hard and makes more sense to do later when
we have a better understanding and hopefully solution for locale issues.

> A non-broken Unicode locale support calls for research and
implementation experience outside of the standard.

That's exactly what I intend to do, contributors are welcome.

> Providing something that is consistent and *not more* broken than the
narrow overload seems useful in the short term.

First I don't think it's necessary per my comment above and second it will
likely severely constrain our design space for fixing these issues in the
future.

> Peter:
> Just for clarity, what does {fmt} currently do?

Unfortunately {fmt} cannot fix the standard library so it does something
completely crazy in char*_t overloads, namely uses a narrow locale and
casts characters. There has been very little interest in char*_t overloads
though.

Cheers,
Victor