Re: [SG16] On whitespaces and new-line

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 22:03:10 +0100
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 9:40 PM Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> It's my understanding that Pattern_White_Space is for pattern languages,
> like regex. From TR31: Examples include regular expressions, Java
> collation rules, Excel or ICU number formats, and many others. In the past,
> regular expressions and other formal languages have been forced to use
> clumsy combinations of ASCII characters for their syntax.
> https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Pattern_Syntax

Are you aware of any precedence for these whitespaces in other programming
languages?
For example, rust uses Pattern_White_Space
https://doc.rust-lang.org/reference/whitespace.html
Answering my own question, JS (https://tc39.es/ecma262/#prod-WhiteSpace)
seems to support Space_Separator
https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/category/Zs - but they do not
support NEL

But... I think we should have some motivation there

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 4:05 PM Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 8:46 PM Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> From https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/tr44-26.html#White_Space -
>>> UnicodeĀ® Standard Annex #44 UNICODE CHARACTER DATABASE
>>> White_Space
>>> <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/tr44-26.html#White_Space> B N Spaces,
>>> separator characters and other control characters which should be treated
>>> by programming languages as "white space" for the purpose of parsing
>>> elements. See also Line_Break
>>> <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/tr44-26.html#Line_Break>,
>>> Grapheme_Cluster_Break
>>> <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/tr44-26.html#Grapheme_Cluster_Break>
>>> , Sentence_Break
>>> <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/tr44-26.html#Sentence_Break>, and
>>> Word_Break
>>> <https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/tr44-26.html#Word_Break>, which
>>> classify space characters and related controls somewhat differently for
>>> particular text segmentation contexts.
>>>
>>> And from PropList.txt, where the White_Space binary property lives
>>> https://www.unicode.org/Public/13.0.0/ucd/PropList.txt
>>>

>>> 0009..000D ; White_Space # Cc [5] <control-0009>..<control-000D>
>>> 0020 ; White_Space # Zs SPACE
>>> 0085 ; White_Space # Cc <control-0085>
>>> 00A0 ; White_Space # Zs NO-BREAK SPACE
>>> 1680 ; White_Space # Zs OGHAM SPACE MARK
>>> 2000..200A ; White_Space # Zs [11] EN QUAD..HAIR SPACE
>>> 2028 ; White_Space # Zl LINE SEPARATOR
>>> 2029 ; White_Space # Zp PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR
>>> 202F ; White_Space # Zs NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE
>>> 205F ; White_Space # Zs MEDIUM MATHEMATICAL SPACE