Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-03-24 SG16 telecon

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 09:47:55 +0100
On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> This is mostly superseded by 2314/2297 - we should make sure the
>> direction are consistent
>>

>>> - P1953 <https://wg21.link/p1953>: Unicode Identifiers And Reflection
>>>
>>> This is ending progress in SG-7
>>
>> That isn't the effect I would expect this paper to have on SG-7.
>> "pending" on the other hand... ;)
>>

>>> - P2295 <https://wg21.link/p2295>: Correct UTF-8 handling during
>>> phase 1 of translation
>>>
>>> Expect a revision of that soon
>>

>>> -
>>>
>>> And finally, here are some ideas that have been discussed, but that we
>>> do not currently have papers covering:
>>>
>>> - UTF-8 as a portable source file encoding (the paper Tom started
>>> and has long intended to complete).
>>>
>>> See also P2295
>>
>> Yes, clearly related.
>>

>>> - Requiring wchar_t to represent all members of the execution wide
>>> character set does not match existing practice
>>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/9>
>>>
>>> Please let's investigate that!
>>
>> I had started a paper on this a while back. Yet another unfinished
>> paper. I'd like to see this done, but it will have no meaningful impact to
>> the C++ community, so we should consider that when prioritizing.
>>

>>> - WG21 P1854: Source to Execution encoding conversion should not
>>> lead to loss of information
>>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/50>
>>>
>>> Expect further work on that in the coming months
>>

>>> - Deprecate std::regex
>>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/57>
>>> - Make wide multicharacter character literals ill-formed
>>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/65>
>>>
>>> I'll write a paper
>>

>>> -
>>> - Improve portable ingestion of command-line arguments
>>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/66>
>>> - Alias barriers; a replacement for the ICU hack
>>> <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/67>
>>>
>>> This seems very important - the char8_t adoption story isn't great right
>> now.
>>
>> I agree, and providing this would be useful for the story we tell, but I
>> suspect won't impact actual adoption.
>>

> Speaking of which, could we possibly support format with utf format
> strings in the 23 cycle? I don't think it would be that much work
>
> Ah, yes, I meant to include that in the list above, but forgot. I agree
> it shouldn't be a lot of work to specify. The (possibly) hard part will be
> finding consensus on what conversions should be performed.
>
> There are two distinct concerns:
>
> 1. If UTF strings are allowed as format strings, what conversions are
> performed on char and wchar_t based field arguments?
> std::string s = ...;
> std::format(u"{}", s);
> 2. If UTF strings are allowed as field arguments, what conversions are
> performed when the format string is char or wchar_t based?
> std::u16string s = ...;
> std::format("{}", s);
>
> I think that the first concern is a much more tractable concern than the
second one.
We just need to convince ourselves that any string literal can be
interpreted by the execution encoding :)

I am not sure 2. _ever_ makes sense as we decided std::format(""); operates
on bytes rather than text, so how do you represent text in bytes?
And the conversion is not lossless if we assume the format string is in
execution encoding.
I think "if you want utf" use the std::format(u8"{}") overload is a nice
approach!